Relationship to surroundings
Overlooking the Aspetuck Reservoir from the west side of the Black Rock Turnpike, the Barn is part of a historic rural farm complex in the northwest corner of the Town of Easton. The barn, the 1816 Colonial/Federal farmhouse and its associated outbuildings are clustered near the north end of the open level 4.35-acre site, which extends approximately 250 feet back from the highway. The western property line follows the contour of a steep, wooded rocky ridge that extends in a south-westerly direction to meet the road, forming an elongated triangle with 1000 feet of road frontage. Although no other buildings are visible from the site, the farmstead is part of a continuous historic corridor along the turnpike, which is now designated a Connecticut scenic road. South of the house, an open triangular field occupies about half of the site between the highway and the hillside. The rest of the associated farmland across the road was flooded out when the Aspetuck River was dammed for the reservoir in 1912.
Three of the four outbuildings on the farm contribute to the historic architectural character of the complex. They include the c. 1870 barn which abuts the base of the hill, and a garage and playhouse, erected between 1920 and 1930.
Non-contributing resources included a chicken coop dating from the 1960s, which is located southwest of the barn, is mostly hidden in the woods, and the restored 1950s perennial garden south of the house. The two wells on the property are not counted as resources since they do not have structural component above grade.
» Search Again