This is a 1 ½ story eave-entry cross-gable carriage barn with a gable-roof addition. The southwest eavefaçade
of the barn faces Main Street while the northeast eave-side cross-gable is intersected by a smaller 1-
story gable-roof addition. The ridge-line of the barn does not correspond with the direction of the street,
which runs roughly north-south, but rather is diagonal; running southwest-northeast.
The main façade of the barn is the southwest eave-façade, which has a centered wall-dormer above the
main entrance through a pair of hinged wagon doors with diagonal panel boards. Two secondary entrances
flank the main entry at the corners through paneled pass-through doors. The wall-dormer has a centered,
arched, two-over-two double-hung sash window just below the apex of the dormer.
The southeast gable-end of the barn has a centered two-over-two double-hung sash window on the main
level. The gable attic has deep soffit lined by fascia board and an arched six-over-six double-hung sash
window just below the apex of the roof. Set within the mortared fieldstone basement are three, three-pane
basement windows. The cross-gable eave-side of the barn is flush with the gable-end continues to the
northeast with three, three-pane hopper windows in the main level. Between the second and third of the
stable windows is a paneled pass-through door, accessed by a set of stone steps. The northeast cross-gableend
of the barn has a four-pane window with trim just beneath the apex of the roof. The rest of the gableend
is encompassed by the addition. The southeast eave-side of the addition is flush with the southeast
eave side of the cross-gable, resulting in a contiguous exterior wall. The southeast eave-side of the addition
has two pairs of exterior swinging doors, with white trim. The northeast gable-end of the addition has two,
two-over-two double-hung sash windows. Just beneath the apex of the addition’s roof is a louvered vent.
The northwest gable-end of the barn has two two-over-two double-hung sash on the main level. A hay
door is above and off-center to the north. The gable attic has deep soffit lined by fascia board and an
arched six-over-six double-hung sash window just below the apex of the roof. A flag pole runs from just
above the arched window through the soffit, ending above the ridge of the roof. A single basement
window is centered in the basement.
The northwest cross-gable eave-side of the barn is setback from the northwest gable-end of the barn 10
feet. Nestled in the corner is a shed-roof tack room. The northwest wall of the tack room/kitchen has a
two-over-two double hung windows off-center to the west. The northeast wall of the tack room/kitchen
has egress through a pass-through door, which is not an original feature.
To the north of the tack room along the eave-side of the cross-gable are two, two-over-two double-hung
sash windows. The northeast gable-end of the barn is encompassed, as noted before, by the addition,
which extends to the northeast. The northwest eave-side of the addition has two two-over-two doublehung
The wooden frame of the addition is supported on a concrete foundation. The wooded frame of the barn
is on a mortared field stone foundation. The barn and addition have asphalt shingle roofing. The exterior
of the barn and addition are clad in grey painted vertical siding walls with white trim and corner boards,
except for above the tack room, which has horizontal siding walls.
The oldest barns still found in the state are called the “English Barn,” “side-entry barn,” “eave entry,” or a 30 x 40. They are simple buildings with rectangular plan, pitched gable roof, and a door or doors located on one or both of the eave sides of the building based on the grain warehouses of the English colonists’ homeland. The name “30 by 40” originates from its size (in feet), which was large enough for 1 family and could service about 100 acres. The multi-purpose use of the English barn is reflected by the building’s construction in three distinct bays - one for each use. The middle bay was used for threshing, which is separating the seed from the stalk in wheat and oat by beating the stalks with a flail. The flanking bays would be for animals and hay storage.
Until the 1830s, the horses used for riding and driving carriages were often kept in the main barn along with the other farm animals. By the 1850s, some New England farmers built separate horse stables and carriage houses. Early carriage houses were built just to shelter a carriage and perhaps a sleigh, but no horses. The pre-cursor to the twentieth-century garage, these outbuildings are distinguished by their large hinged doors, few windows, and proximity to the dooryard. The combined horse stable and carriage house continued to be a common farm building through the second half of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, until automobiles became common. Elaborate carriage houses were also associated with gentlemen farms and country estates of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Another form of carriage barn, the urban livery stable, served the needs of tradespeople.
Listed on the State Register of Historic Places 2/06/2013 Construction Date: 1889 according to Deep River Historical Society, remodeled 1991 Visible from Road: Yes Interior Accessible to Public: Yes Current Use: Meetings and Displays Historic Use: Carriage House Environment: Residential, open land Threats: None Materials: Vertical siding Typology: New England/English Hybrid Structural System: Unknown Layout System: Unknown Roof Materials: Asphalt shingle Roof Type: Gable, shed To the left of the barn is a 25 foot long ivory bleach house which was rescued by the Historical Society and reconstructed here. The stone house located on property built in 1840 by Deacon Ezra Southworth for he and his new wife, Eunice Post Southworth. The house was built using stone quarried on the property. The original flat tin roof was later replaced by a gabled roof. A rear addition was constructed in 1881, just before the marriage of the Southworth’s son, Ezra Job Birney Southworth, to Fanny Shortland of Chester. The wraparound porch was added to the house in 1898. Deacon Ezra’s granddaughter, Ada Southworth Munson, who died in 1946, bequeathed the property to the Deep River Historical Society. It is now a house museum open to the public. [Source: Marissa Cartoceti]
The property is towards the east of Main Street in a mix-use area with both residential and commercial units. Devitt Field flanks the property on its west.
The barn is towards the western edge of the property with the main residence towards its south-west. The ivory bleach house can be seen towards the north-east and a small gambrel-roof shed is located towards the north of the barn.
T. Levine and M. Patnaik, reviewed by CT Trust
Photographs and information provided by –
Marissa Cartoceti, 3/24/2010
Sexton, James, PhD; Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history.
Visser, Thomas D.,Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings, University Press of New England, 1997.