This is a 1 ½-story side- or eave-entry barn with an addition. The main facade faces north and the ridge-line is perpendicular to Durham Road, which runs slightly northeast-southwest at this point. Where the main entrance would have originally been is now a recessed, porch-like area, centered on the north eave-side with a slight earthen ramp leading up to it. On the facade within the recessed area is a band of three eight-over-eight-pane windows. Centered above the recessed area is a nine-pane ribbon window. East of the recessed area is a nine-pane window on the first-story. There is a one-story shed-roof addition on the east gable-end that is the full-width of the main barn. Above the addition in the gable attic of the main barn is a grouping of four windows flanked by a single window on each side. There is an entrance centered on the south eave-side. The west gable-end features many windows that do not correspond directly with the levels of the house. There are four nine-pane windows on the first story, two on the northern half and two on the southern end. There are two pairs of nine-pane windows that are above the first-story level but are below the gable attic. There are three nine-pane windows in the gable attic, one of them being centered above the other two. The barn has vertical flush-board siding. The roof has a projecting overhang and is covered in built-up asphalt. The foundation is fieldstone.
The oldest barns still found in the state are called the “English Barn,” “side-entry barn,” “eave entry,” or a 30 x 40. They are simple buildings with rectangular plan, pitched gable roof, and a door or doors located on one or both of the eave sides of the building based on the grain warehouses of the English colonists’ homeland. The name “30 by 40” originates from its size (in feet), which was large enough for 1 family and could service about 100 acres. The multi-purpose use of the English barn is reflected by the building’s construction in three distinct bays - one for each use. The middle bay was used for threshing, which is separating the seed from the stalk in wheat and oat by beating the stalks with a flail. The flanking bays would be for animals and hay storage.
The associated house was the original Dudley farmhouse from 2351 Durham Rd., and was moved here in 1865. The barn was built between 1860-65, and was the last timber frame barn built in North Guilford. It was renovated into a dwelling in the early 1980's. There is also a modern timber frame garage/storage barn on the property, built in the 1980's.
Since the barn was moved here, it does not have a historic house it is associated with on site. There is a small 1 ½-story garage or storage barn located slightly southeast of the barn with a ridge-line running perpendicular to that of the main barn. The barn is set close to Durham Road that runs along its west end and to Skylark Drive that runs along its north side. A white fence encloses the north and east sides of the property. The total size of the site is 2.11 acres. The surrounding area is rural residential and woodlands.
Parcel ID: 10501802.
B. Bjorklund & T. Levine, reviewed by CT Trust
Field notes and photographs by Ellie Green, 05/27/2010
Town of Guilford Assessor’s Record or GIS Viewer: http://www.guilfordgis.com/detail.asp?parid=10501802
Parcel ID: 10501802
http://maps.google.com accessed 02/20/11
http://www.bing.com/maps accessed 02/20/2011
Sexton, James, PhD, Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history.
Visser, Thomas D., Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings (Hanover: University Press of New England, 1997), 61.