This is a 1 ½-story gable-entry, gable-roof, carriage barn with a shed-roof addition. The main façade faces west and the ridge-line is perpendicular to Weston Road, which at this point runs approximately north to south.
The main entry is centered on the west gable-façade of the barn and consists of a pair of double-height, side-hinged doors with original iron strap hinges. A pass-through paneled door with a twelve-pane window in the top half is on the north corner of the west gable-façade. Just above the girt line siding divide is a six-over-six double-hung window. The gable consists of a Greek-Revival cornice return. Attached to the south eave-side of the barn is a shed-roof addition which encompasses the entire south side of the barn. The grade drops along the south side of the barn, revealing a full basement level on the addition and the east gable-end of the barn. A stone retaining wall extends to the south off the east corner on the south side of the shed-roof addition.
The concrete block foundation is visible along the east gable-end of the barn. A six-pane fixed window is just north of center in the basement level of the east gable-end of the barn. Centered above this is a six-over-six double-hung window with trim. A Greek-Revival cornice return is found on the gable of the east gable-end of the barn.
A stone retaining wall extends to the east off the north corner of the east gable-end of the barn, and turns to extend to the north, parallel with the road. The grade inclines towards the west, so the main level of the north eave-side of the barn is at grade. The concrete block foundation is visible along this side. There are no features along this side of the barn.
The shed-roof addition extends off the south eave-side of the barn. The west side of the addition has an exterior-hung sliding door which slides to the north, with the track ending just before the main entry on the main façade of the barn. There are no features on the south side of the addition. On the east side of the addition is a six-pane window located on the north corner. Near the south corner of the east side of the addition is a six-over-six double-hung window with trim. In the foundation of the addition is an opening on the south corner. The north side of the addition is encompassed by the main barn to which it is attached.
The barn and addition are clad in vertical flush-board siding painted white with white trim. Located in the gable-attic on the east gable-end of the barn are wood shingles painted white. The roof is clad in asphalt shingles.
There are two large barns and a few small outbuildings also on this property. One of the barns is a replica of an English style barn that once stood on the property. The other barn is a brand new building. The small outbuildings are also replicas of buildings that once stood on the property.
Until the 1830s, the horses used for riding and driving carriages were often kept in the main barn along with the other farm animals. By the 1850s, some New England farmers built separate horse stables and carriage houses. Early carriage houses were built just to shelter a carriage and perhaps a sleigh, but no horses. The pre-cursor to the twentieth-century garage, these outbuildings are distinguished by their large hinged doors, few windows, and proximity to the dooryard.
The combined horse stable and carriage house continued to be a common farm building through the second half of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, until automobiles became common. Elaborate carriage houses were also associated with gentlemen farms and country estates of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Another form of carriage barn, the urban livery stable, served the needs of tradespeople.
“Has been on the property since approximately 1840. The building was closer to the road originally, the road passing right in front of the Coley Homestead. Fifteen years ago the building was moved back from the current Weston Road.
The society houses several sleighs, large and small in the Carriage Barn. The largest of the carriages is a horse-drawn Phaeton which we often use during the Memorial Day Parade.
Outside the building is a large stone block which would have been used by the women of the day to climb up into the carriage, as well as an old gasoline pump which was a familiar site on farms during the early 1900’s.”
Large complex of numerous barns, a carriage house, a smoke house and a few privies. The English barn on the property was built in 1883 to replace a similar barn on the site that was destroyed by fire in 1882. "The homestead dates back to the early 19th century and once included more than 100 acres of farmland and meadows roughly bounded by Weston Road on the east, Broad Street on the south, Briar Oak Road on the north and Cavalry Road ono the west. The Homestead today is 3.7 acres and includes the Coley farmhouse (circa 1841), a large barn and cattle shed (circa 1880), a carriage house (circa 1840), several small out buildings and a cider press shed built by the Society in 1993. The homestead was established in 1834 by David Dimon Coley on 15 acres of land leased from his father, Eliphalet Coley. David later purchased and inherited additional acreage from his father and father-in-law, John Andrews. Five generations of the Coley family occupied the Homestead for 167 years, and for much of that time, worked it as a farm, raising livestock and growing both cash and feed crops." http://www.westonhistoricalsociety.org/
This barn sits on 3.71 acres and is part of the Weston Historical Society property. The house with which this barn is associated sits close to the road on a hill, just to the southwest of the barn. The main façade faces east and the ridge-line runs perpendicular to Weston Road. The driveway extends to the west off Weston Road and bends to the south, leading to High Acre Road. A parking lot sits to the east of the driveway. A large English style barn with a large saltbox-roof addition sits directly to the west of the carriage barn. To the southwest, just south of the large English barn is a large recently built barn, which is attached to a shed. A few small outbuildings are located at the west of the property. The south portion of the property is an open tract of land. Stone walls boarder the property on the east and north of the property. Along the west side of the property is a boarder of coniferous trees. Just to the southeast of the property is the intersection of Weston Road and High Acre Road, Weston Road and Pink Cloud Lane, and to the north is the intersection of Weston Road and Kettle Creek Road. To the north of the property is Weston Parks and Recreation Center and Weston Shopping Center. Further north is Hurlbutt Elementary School, Weston School Superintendent, Weston Intermediate School, and Weston Middle School. To the northwest is Cobbs Mill Pond and Bisceglie Park. To the south is Coleytown Cemetery and Held Pond. The property is surrounded by residential areas and woodland.
K. Young & T. Levine, reviewed by CT Trust
Field notes and photographs by Kristen Young - 6/14/2011.
Additional photographs by Jason Ledy - 6/21/2011.
Aerial Mapping: Weston Maps
http://www.bing.com/maps - accessed 6/20/2011.
Town of Weston Assessor’s Records:
http://data.visionappraisal.com/WestonCT/DEFAULT.asp - accessed 6/20/2011.
Weston Historical Society Webpage
http://www.westonhistoricalsociety.org/ - accessed 6/20/2011.
Sexton, James, PhD, Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history.
Visser, Thomas D.,Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings, University Press of New England, 1997.