This is a 1 ½ story wagon shed with four bays. Its main gable-facade faces south with its ridge line running east-west, parallel to Stoddards Wharf Road. The the main entry in the western-most bay of the south facade is open and has a braced post. East of the open bays is a six-over-six double hung window in the middle bay. The eastern-most bay has a pair of hinged doors. The east and west gable-facades are blank. The north eave-facade has a single six-over-six double hung window off-center on the facade. The barn has vertical siding that is painted blue with trim that is painted light yellow. The roof has asphalt shingles with a bracketed overhang. The barn has an un-mortared fieldstone foundation.
Distinguished by the long shed or gable roof and the row of large openings along the eave side, the typical wagon shed was often built as a separate structure or as a wing connected to the farmhouse or the barn. These open-bay structures protect farm vehicles and equipment from the weather and provide shelter for doing small repairs and maintenance.
Historic home on National Historic Register. Sign on barn says "David Chapman circa 1750."
S. Lessard and T. Levine, reviewed by CT Trust
Photographs by Anne T. Roberts-Pierson (email@example.com)- 12/07/2009.
Town of Ledyard Assessor’s Record Map/Lot 65-2360-128 (house built 1745-90, 1.74 acres).
Cunningham, Jan, A Historic and Architectural Resource Survey of the Town of Ledyard, Ledyard Historic District Commission, 1992.
Cunningham, Jan, National Register Nomination No. 92001642, David Chapman Farmstead, National Park Service, 1992.
Sexton, James, PhD, Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history.
Visser, Thomas D.,Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings, University Press of New England,1997.