This is a 1 1/2-story carriage barn. The main facade faces south, towards Route 2A, with its ridge-line parallel to the street. The main entry is a pair of swinging hinged doors with what appears to be blacksmithed hardware in the middle of three bays. The eastern-most bay of the facade is open; the western-most bay has a pass-through door and a double hung six-over-six window. The east gable-end has a pair of double hung six-over-six windows above the eave line with a swinging hinged haydoor in between. The north eave-facade has a single double hung six-over-six window in the western-most bay. The west gable-end has a pass-through door at grade and two windows in the attic. The barn sits on an un-mortared fieldstone foundation. The roof has asphalt shingles and a cupola. The whole structure has vertical flush board siding painted red with white trim.
Until the 1830’s, the horses used for riding and driving carriages were often kept in the main barn along with the other farm animals. By the 1850’s, some New England farmers built separate horse stables and carriage houses. Early carriage houses were built just to shelter a carriage and perhaps a sleigh, but no horses. The pre-cursor to the twentieth-century garage, these outbuildings are distinguished by their large hinged doors, few windows, and proximity to the dooryard. The combined horse stable and carriage house continued to be a common farm building through the second half of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, until automobiles became common.
Landmark - currently used for horses - associated house Circa 1740 Located in the Poquetanuck Historic District.
Poquetanuck Village Historic District is composed of a dense linear cluster
of 18th and 19th-century one and two-story residences and buildings along a
one half mile stretch of Route 2A known as Main Street [or Poquetanuck Road] ranging east and west in the southern portion of the town of Preston (Youngken, Section 7). The house is a five-bay 2 1/2-story center-chimney Colonial style building located close to the road on the north side, with its entry in the center bay. It has a 1-story ell on the north near the east corner. The barn is located east of the house, also close to the road, on a 1.5-acre parcel with mowed areas around the buildings, an open pasture to the north and wooded areas at the perimeter. The village cemetery is located to the north of the property. Just east of the property, Poquetanuck road continues east while Route 2A, named Lincoln Park Road, forks toward the northeast. St. James Church is located in the eastern corner of the intersection.
Todd Levine, reviewed by the Connecticut Trust
Photographs and field notes by Gail Rigney - 12/09/2009
Assessor’s Record: http://data.visionappraisal.com/PrestonCT/
Parcel ID: 23-0/ 2A/ 100 1.5 acres House date 1740 Barn 817 sf
http://www.bing.com/maps accessed 6/30/2011.
Youngken, Richard C., Poquetanuck Village National Register Historic District Nomination No. 96000912, National Park Service, 1996.
Sexton, James, PhD, Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history.
Visser, Thomas D., Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings, University Press of New England, 1997.