This is a multi-barn complex towards the west of Guilford Road consisting of barns belonging to different typologies and era. Discussed below are the two three-bay eave-entry barns located in the south-eastern corner of the property with Barn-1 towards the west and Barn-2 towards the east.
Barn-1: This is a 1 ½ - story three-bay eave-entry barn with a shed-roof addition encompassing the entire length of its south eave-side. The east gable-side of the barn faces Guilford Road while its ridge line runs east-west perpendicular to the road. The main façade of the barn is its three-bay north eave-facade with the main entrance in the middle bay through a double-height exterior-hung sliding wagon door. The east gable-side of the barn has a distinct dropped girt siding divide line separating the gable attic above which has a square window opening just below the apex of the roof. The east side-wall of the shed-roof addition on the south eave-side of the main barn is flush with the east gable-side of the main barn and has an exterior hung sliding pass-through door towards the north and two closely spaced square window openings centered towards the south. The east side-wall of the shed-roof addition has another window just above the sliding pass-through door. The three-bay south eave-side of the barn has a shed-roof addition encompassing its entire length that continues further west forming a gable-roof. The south eave-side of the shed-roof addition has three entrances through three over-head garage doors with wooden brackets supporting the gutter along the eave line.
The wooden frames of both the main barn and the shed-roof addition are supported on cement plastered masonry foundation and have asphalt shingle roofing. The main barn has grey painted vertical siding with white corner boards on its north eave-façade while the gable attic of the shed-roof addition has grey painted horizontal siding.
The oldest barns still found in the state are called the “English Barn,” “side-entry barn,” “eave entry,” or a 30 x 40. They are simple buildings with rectangular plan, pitched gable roof, and a door or doors located on one or both of the eave sides of the building based on the grain warehouses of the English colonists’ homeland. The name “30 by 40” originates from its size (in feet), which was large enough for 1 family and could service about 100 acres. The multi-purpose use of the English barn is reflected by the building’s construction in three distinct bays - one for each use. The middle bay was used for threshing, which is separating the seed from the stalk in wheat and oat by beating the stalks with a flail. The flanking bays would be for animals and hay storage.
Also see Part - 2/2 : http://www.connecticutbarns.org/index.cgi/30171 Are: Barn: 30X52 SqFt, Circa 1960 Barn: 3520 SqFt, Circa 1960 Barn: 784 SqFt, Circa 1900 Quonset Building : 6200 SqFt, Circa 1940 Barn: 1456 SqFt, Circa 1960 Shed: 280 SqFt, Circa 1960 Shed: 440 SqFt, Circa 1960 Barn: 3192 SqFt, Circa 1985 Wooden pole barn Shed: 4200 SqFt, Circa 1975 Barn: 5168 SqFt, Circa 1960 Garage: 864 SqFt, Circa 1970
The 5.22 acres property, parcel number - W0257500 and map number 127, is located towards the west of Guilford Road, bordering the town limits of Durham and Guilford. The property is situated in a pre-dominantly residential area of rural character with residential plots towards its north, south and the east, across Guilford Road. Parcels of open land can be seen towards the north-east of the property. Two water bodies and a stream can be seen towards the west of the plot beyond which the area is covered by dense woodland.
This is a multi-barn complex towards the west of Guilford Road consisting of barns belonging to different typologies and era. The 1 ½-story barn, Barn – 2 is located in the south-eastern corner of the property, nearer to Guilford Road. Barn-1 is located towards its west, separated by a drive way. The main residence and a gable-roof shed can be seen towards the north of Barn-2 and Barn-1 respectively. Another gable-roof shed can be seen towards the north-east of the main residence with an open-to-sky parking lot towards further north. A Quonset building with a semi-circular cross-section is located in the north-western corner of the property. A large barn complex can be seen towards the south of the Quonset building which includes at least a pole barn, a large salt-box roof barn with a gable-roof addition and a gambrel-roof barn. Another rectilinear gable-roof barn with a gable-roof addition on its south gable-side can be seen towards the south of the barn complex. The property includes two other parking lots, one towards the south-west of Barn-1 and the other towards its north-west.
T. Levine and M. Patnaik, reviewed by CT Trust
Photographs and field-notes provided by – Jim McLaughlin
Assessors’ records retrieved on February 3rd , 2011 from website http://durham.univers-clt.com
Map and property records retrieved on February 3rd , 2011 from website http://www.townofdurhamct.org
Photograph/Information retrieved on February 3rd , 2011 from website http://www.google.com
Photograph retrieved by Charlotte Hitchcock on September 1st , 2010 from website http://www.zillow.com
Sexton, James, PhD; Survey Narrative of the Connecticut Barn, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, Hamden, CT, 2005, http://www.connecticutbarns.org/history
Visser, Thomas D.,Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings, University Press of New England, 1997.