"Once part of a larger, single parcel, the former farm property contains two contributing resources: a c. 1778 Georgian farmhouse and an adjacent, c. 1800 carriage barn. The proposed district is named for inventor and entrepreneur Verneur E. Pratt, who lived in the farmhouse and converted the adjacent barn for use as a laboratory and machine shop. The house and carriage barn are located on nearly 3 acres in what is known as Silvermine, a suburban residential neighborhood that straddles the municipalities of Norwalk, New Canaan, and Wilton.""Constructed c. 1800, the adjacent carriage barn which is now 116 Perry Avenue was converted to a laboratory by Verneur Pratt in the late 1930s. A large studio window was added to the north elevation. The carriage house was originally purpose-built as a barn for the house in early nineteenth century barn or carriage house. It seems probably that the stucco exterior was added when the house was first converted to residential use in the early twentieth century. A photograph from c. 1945 reveals the exterior to be mostly unchanged from its current state (2010). The one-story central portion was integrated and enlarged along with a newly constructed eastern wing in 2000. Exposed framing is visible throughout and reveals the original use and function of the space. It appears that the westernmost section of the building is stick-framed opposed to the central post-and-beam framed section, suggesting that the original barn was the one-and-a-half story portion-this is the section that has remnant vertical plank siding extant." -Phillip S. Esser Verneur Pratt Historic District
Esser, Phillip S., Verneur Pratt National Register Historic District Nomination, National Park Service, 2010.