Large gambrel-roofed bank barn on east side of Route 67 south of the Rte 188 intersection. Date of house: 1804; barn ca. 1900."The hotel known as the Oatman House for 35 years, was built by George Thompson in 1806, and first kept by him and then by his brother-in-law, Benjamin S. Hurd, followed by John Peck. Enos Foot was the landlord in 1845." (Rockey, 1892) Hurd & Thompson were both son-in-laws to Adin Wheeler who helped to fund the construction (and was the owner of 125 Quaker Farms Rd.). Oatman married a Hurd daughter. 1820s tavern-keeper was Benjamin Blagg Osborn, a resident of the now preserved Phillips Farm, and son of Patriot First Selectman Shadrach. Also site of a murder-suicide in 1931. Sources: email from John Dwyer History of New Haven County Connecticut, J.L. Rockey, 1892 (courtesy of John Dwyer). Southbury Assessor’s Record.
Charlotte R. Hitchcock